Wednesday, July 20, 2016

847. Karma is the righteous action, Dharma is righteous decision.........!



Sanskrit is a language which has many words which reflects more than one meaning. One such word is “Dharma” which denotes both as religion and as decree. Religion is belief system founded by someone, which a large section of people accept under a common symbol, text and rituals. Dharma on the other hand is more of a way of living followed since aeons. Knowledge imparted to a person to lead a life in a certain way, based on the principle of truth is Dharma. If Karma is the righteous action, righteous decision is Dharma. Dharma is not to preach or teach, it is to be observed, followed and practised. Dharma is the role I play. Dharma practised in the ancient times has a multitude of difference from what is practised today. 

Hippocratic Oath for a doctor becomes the Dharma of a doctor. Likewise there is oath that a politician, a lawyer, a policeman, a soldier takes which becomes Dharma of that particular person. Even for a man, who accepts a job, be it as a C.E.O or a clerk the job description becomes his Dharma. Sometimes, the role is self-chosen and sometimes the role is a result due to the karmas of the previous life. Anything that is goes against the oath that involves cheating, deceiving, misleading where the person gets off the spiritual track is called Adharma. Above all, honesty is the highest Dharma.

An individual who is aware of “Who am I?” with the knowledge of karma and knowing that he is just an instrumental cause and his role here is temporary, he discharges his duties without expecting fruits (profit and loss), attachment or aversion to that deed. Those who identify with the roles played and consider them to be permanent are the ones who are deluded.

“Sarva dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja” says Sri Krishna to Arjuna. Now what does Dharman mean here? Many translations refer this word to religion. It is mere common sense to know that at that time there was only Sanatana Dharma. What Sri Krishna mean is that after you perform whatever actions you have to perform as per your dharma, give up the attachment to that Dharma also.


It means, suppose I practice Karma Yoga or Bhakti Yoga, and then I may in time also get a small ego. This ego triggers in me to brag that I am doing the right thing by practising them so I am sure of reaching the highest goal. Though I may be righteous in all my actions I should very well think that I am same as another person who is not practising them. In order to develop this kind of attitude I should renounce all the Dharma that I practice (after practising it), it is like unlearning. In short it is like doing what I think is right and to just leaving it without thinking that I have done the right thing. 

For example, in a traffic signal at the turn of red light a beggar approaches my vehicle. In order to help him I hand him over Rs.10 note. The owner of the other vehicle may reprimand me for encouraging the begging and making him lazy. He might be right too or may be my action was better, neither do I nor the person who lectured me know for sure if the beggar really was needy. Also my small part of contribution cannot fulfil all his needs, so truthful to my conscience it is better to leave (Parityajya) the rest to Him without having pride of doing a great thing and branding myself a generous person……..What say???

No comments:

Post a Comment