Monday, April 11, 2016

816. Is Life a Dream or Is it a Drama???


“Is life a mere dream?” I would wonder. Well, I could only say that though life is not exactly a dream which appear when I sleep, in one sense it is a dream. Why do I call it a dream? Simply because my vision of life is always different from what it actually is. There is always a basic difference in my perception and what it appears to be in reality and this difference itself is LIFE which inspires me to accept everything that I perceive to be real. I must confess that I am incapable of perceiving that fundamental reality directly. Hence everything I perceive is a simulation or a version of that fundamental reality that exists in patterns of circumstance and materializes to my mind in a way that it can be easily dealt with.

This perceived life exists only if I am aware of it and when I am in a position to categorise and interpret about it in my mind. But the fundamental reality that motivates me to perceive this world and life to my liking however, exists as it is unchanged even if my mind exists or not. There is one aspect of existence which makes me feel as just Consciousness, which induces the subjective trait in me. On the other hand there is another aspect which is fully objective and external to my mind. Even though I can determine the manner in which I perceive reality, yet I can't stray beyond the fundamental nature that forms the objective, external foundation of that reality.

Once there was a businessman who was successfully handling his flourishing business. His success in business gave him the comforts of all the amenities of life. He had a beautiful small family which he adored and loved. He was a good husband and a good father as well. When he was leading a contented life all of a sudden he had to suffer big loss in business. The extent of the loss was such that he had to surrender everything including his palatial house to the mortgage loan he had taken from the bank. The entire relations and friends felt sorry for the businessman. His in-laws were devastated, his wife could not get in terms with the loss but the businessman was not bewildered and he remained calm.

Seeing her husband as calm as ever, the wife asked, “Is your heart as hard as stone not to be sensitive about what you have lost in the business. I have seen you work so hard and build the business step by step. Even though I do not know personally I have seen you struggle at the early stages of your business. How is it that you seem to be least bothered at loss of our beautiful home also?”

At this the husband said, “Yes, my dear the loss was unexpected as was the success. I am not worried because that worry will not let me to hope and think positive about my future ventures. In simple words I will tell you why I am not worried about what had happened. Last night, I had a dream and in that dream I was a king. As the king of that region I was on to conquer my neighbouring kingdom. I fought hard and was about to take the neighbouring king as prisoner of war, it was then you woke me. Now if I had worried about the timing of you waking me in the morning and if I had shouted at you for waking me at that glorious moment of my dream would you not have felt how silly I was talking? Will it not spoil a nice morning for both of us? It is the same here, if at present I am worried about the past I will have to forgo my future.”


Life is an overlap of continuous dreams as well as nightmares and a script less drama with unknown script. This knowledge helps an individual to move on in life despite the triumphs and turbulences.

No comments:

Post a Comment