Thursday, February 18, 2016

801. What are Samskaras? Can I detect and get out if not good??




What are Samskaras? Can I detect and get out if not good???

My mind works at three levels. The moment I am out of my bed I am awake to the soundings, this level is Conscious level. In this level my Conscious Mind is supported by “Medha Shakti” (Intelligence) an aspect of Buddhi (Intellect). Medha Shakti helps me comprehend the working pattern of the happening in the world outside. Conscious mind is an objective mind. There is another level which I may not be aware of its working, but it plays an important role. This level is called Sub-Conscious Mind. It is the store house of memories of uncountable past lives. In Vedanta it is called Chitta. Sub-Conscious Mind is a subjective mind.   

Apart from these two levels there is one more level, which is called Super-Conscious Mind. In Vedanta it is called Karana Chitta. In this level I am not only awake but also aware. In this level my Conscious Mind is supported by “Dhi Shakti” (Intuition). This Super-Conscious Mind is the aspect of Universal Consciousness which is infinite. The Super-Conscious Mind is like a mega computer that interface with smaller computer connected to it and operate them.

The moment I consciously perceive something with the help of my senses there is a resonating effect on my Sub-Conscious Mind. This resonating effect produces thoughts which are called Vrittis. These vrittis are generated not only on the recently posted information but could be from the past experiences. Just like as in a computer where I feed in information from the input-output devices and the working of the system depend not just on the latest added input, but all the previous stored up signals as well, so does thoughts in me get projected using the cognized object and the memories related to it stored in Sub Conscious mind.

Vritti create a ruffle for some time and then it sink down deep into the region of the Sub-Conscious Mind and continues to remain in a dormant state. A conscious action whether cognitive, effective or co-active is required to simulate the hidden form just below the threshold of my Consciousness. This action is termed a Samskaras (Impressions).

Samskaras are subtle imprints that are glued on to my memory whenever I perform any action consciously. Hence they say memory is like a small kid walking by the sea shore no one know which pebble it lifts from the sand and keeps it in the treasure called Samskaras. Memories are not impressions; instead they are formed from impressions just like a photograph is developed from a negative. Generally, I retain memories only from recent impressions, but then I do have countless Samskaras from many, many lives. Many of these Samskaras do not have memories associated with them. To be clear, the Samskaras from many, many past life affect me but I am unable to recollect the cause of it and hence do not comprehend why I am affected by it.

Samskaras may be powerful but can be countered and to counter them with an appropriate one I need to have an Achala Sankalpa (Strong Intent). As there is a network of events happening in destiny, so does that strong intention sets things in motion. The nature, people and events respond to my strong intention in many forms to provide enough “hints” to go beyond my comfort level and act as needed to make the change.


Firstly, I need to become aware of my Samskaras and know whether they are good or bad. My attitude is the indicator, if it is not sensitive and is not in agreement with myself and other I have to change it. Awareness of this will slow down my Conscious Mind so I can lengthen the pause between my impulse and my action which provides me ample time to reflect. If I rush through life too fast it becomes a heap of vague impression without details and it is here I lose my sensitivity....... Am I right???

No comments:

Post a Comment