Monday, November 17, 2014

604. Which do you aspire for Success or Happiness?

http://www.speakingtree.in/spiritual-blogs/seekers/self-improvement/are-we-successful-or-happy



In this era of rat race most of us are blindly behind success. In an ambition of getting successful we are setting goals and trying to achieve them. However, most of us who yearn for success are unable to define what success means to us. We think only in terms of the next promotion or next pay raise or climbing the corporate ladder, but very few of us ever stop to really look at where these goals are taking us to.

If we ask people who thrive to be successful as to what they want in life, after a long pause all they say is that they want to be “Happy.” That's awesome, but for two things: they hardly ever know with any conviction what happiness actually means to them, and secondly, they never actually plan to be happy. Instead they fall into trap of “when-I-get-that-I'll-be-happy” syndrome. If we look, we see these kinds of people every day maybe even when we look in the mirror. 

“If I buy an independent house, then I'll be happy.” 

“When I join that company I can do wonders, then I'll be happy.” 

“Once I get the promotion, I will be happy.”....and the list goes on and on and on.

The biggest problem is it doesn't work that way at all and it is tough to understand this reality. If our immediate goal is achieved and have succeeded then we should have been happy, Isn’t it so? No! We have set another goal and we are behind it. 

Success is the race between one achievement to another. If happiness is our goal; if being happy is what we really want in our life, then we need to be happy today. Not tomorrow, not in a weeks time, not when something is going to happen, not if we achieve something.

So, how do we make ourselves happy?

First, we must seriously ask our self, what makes us happy? What is that activity which when performed makes us feel energetic and completely satisfied and is in touch with the essence of our self?

Maybe for some its painting or music or writing or dance or going on a nature tour or as simple as relishing a cup of tea on a hill top watching the sun set. But as soon as this thought come to our mind another thought engulfs it immediately, “Do I have time to do this crazy things; I have a responsibility to make a living. I don't have enough time as it is.” Hence keep away from these activities and blame ourselves for not being happy.

If happiness is a goal we have, then we must allot time daily to do something that makes us feel happy. After all how we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives. Then the next question is how are we spending our days? The reality is that what we have right now is exactly what will be on our last day here. If happiness is what we require all through our life it has to be started right away and we have to make a new beginning which will be uninterrupted till the end. We deserve it and so let’s not put it off; we have not a second to waste in this endeavor.

Fortunately for me I am happy to write blogs and get the valuable responses from my fellow seekers. I am happy that by writing a blog I know what I know and by getting responses to them I know what I don't know!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. To be successful in life one has be happy. It makes you to think and act in right direction for the success.

    ReplyDelete