Friday, March 28, 2014

428. Mind: Nothing can beat its speed, but there is speedbreaker!

http://www.speakingtree.in/public/spiritual-blogs/seekers/science-of-spirituality/mind-nothing-can-beat-its-speed-but-there-is-speedbreaker






When Yudhisthira was asked by Yaksha, “What is faster than Wind?” Yudhisthira did not say light. We all know light travels faster than wind and sound hence we see the light first and hear the sound afterwards at the time of thunder and lighting. Scientist have measured the speed of light and put it at about approximately Three lakh kilometers per second. Why did Yudhisthira not tell light is faster than wind. He answered Mind is faster then wind.” 

Why did he say Mind? 

Yes, Yudhisthira knew his mind well. He knew how fast mind can move. Our physicists have not yet thought of how fast mind can travel. There can never be an instrument to measure the speed of mind. Is it possible for the mind to invent something to measure itself? As I am asking this question my mind is already taken me to the next. My mind is always on the move it cannot stay on a single topic. If it stays on a single topic it gets bored. My mind is lively only if it is constantly on the move in other words it is projecting new thoughts. So it is restless always.



Apart from making me restless by being fast and extensive, its karmic effect is far-reaching and deep. My mind is always busy traveling into the past, diving into the present, striding into the future, moving in a jiffy back and forth. While so traveling my mind grasps at thoughts like a small kid would pick sea shells on sea shore and pocketing them and keeps it in the treasury called memory. This is the reason my mind has access to many images, odours, tastes, sounds, touch contacts and knows how to discriminate thoughts. As a result of this ability of my mind I am always trapped in a fast-moving, non-stop, elusive and karmic mental flow. And this is the hindrance for me to not look into my true nature. That is why I need to have control over my mind and try to look beyond it. But my mind can travel at unimaginable speed; this has made my mind inconstant, restless and unpredictable. What is the solution to slow the pace of my mind? Ancient scriptures prescribe Mantra Japa as one way of controlling the pace of the mind.


There is a story in Skanda Purana to illustrate this: After the battle of Kurukshetra, Yudhisthira contemplates on performing the Ashwameda Yagya. Sri Krishna who wanted Bhima to know the importance of Mantra Japa hence asks him to invite Purusha Mruga who lives in Himalayas for the Yagya. Krishna warns Bhima that Purusha Mruga travels at the speed of mind (Manovega) and to bring him he has to travel at that speed failing which the Purusha Mruga would kill and devour him. Bhima who could travel at the speed of wind (Vayuvega) thinks he could bring him. Bhima sets of in search of Purusha Mruga and happens to meet his elder brother Hanuman and tells him about his mission. Hanuman tells Bhima that the only way to keep pace with Purusha Mruga is to place thousand Lingas through the route. Being a devotee of Shiva, Purusha Mruga would halt at each Linga to chant the thousand names of Shiva thus allowing Bhima to keep pace with him. Bhima succeeded in the mission, his vayuvega could match Purusha Mruga's manovega since it was slowed down with Mantra Japa.

1 comment:

  1. it is true that only meditative mind only can manage its speed.Otherwise the mind gets into the labyrinth of past future thoughts and swirling.!!!

    ReplyDelete