Wednesday, May 6, 2015

724. Being what I am is better than wanting to be Others...

http://www.speakingtree.in/public/spiritual-blogs/seekers/self-improvement/being-what-i-am-is-better-than-wanting-to-be-others



There is nothing wrong if I admire someone who has excelled in a certain field and trying to take the good from that character and emulate them for my excellence. There are many who have role models like Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Swami Vivekananda and so on. What is there for me to follow in them? Is it the way they lived or the way they were? There is a difference between becoming what they are and following what they do. If I am following Mahatma Gandhi that does not mean that I need to look like him wearing only dhoti and holding a stick in my hand. That would be like I am taking part in a fancy dress contest. Truthfulness, simplicity and equanimity was the subtle virtues the great man had and I need to look in to achieve those traits instead of behaving the way he is on the outwardly look. 

It so happened that a frog lived in the pond adjacent to a temple. It was happily croaking one rainy morning synchronizing with the other frogs in the pond. It watched the temple priest offering Prasadam to the cow in the street. This visual let the frog thinking, “What life is this, if I was a cow people would have fed me.” Before it could end that monologue a dog appeared from nowhere and started barking at the cow which took to heels. 

Seeing this, the frog had a change in its thought now it wished to be a dog. While it was thinking and wishing, a small boy threw a stone at the dog and chased it away. This scene made the frog decide that human life is the best as it is the only species which has the authority over others. The little boy went to the temple platform and slept, the frog was watch the boy who was sleeping then a fly started pestering the boy and he had to move from there.


Now the frog started thinking if a small fly can bother a human then it was better to be a fly and so now, it wanted to become a fly. As the frog was contemplating on this the same fly flew past it and by instinct, without its own conscious the frog stuck out its tongue caught the fly and gulped it.Within a fraction of a second that fly was now in its stomach then the frog realized that being what it is now is the best of all.


If I am not satisfied with myself I cannot be satisfied if I am others also. There is a continuous desire to become someone else other than our self. The best person is the one you see when you stand in front of a mirror. Even though I try emulating all the good things from others it has to be me alone to practice them, so unavoidably I have to be me……Happy to be ME……….  Am i right?????

No comments:

Post a Comment